ShareIt :D

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Politics in High School Sports


High school. The greatest four years of our life. On the contrary, it’s also four of the worst years of our life.
In the majority of schools, favoritism or “the name game” occurs. Why? Why should only specific individuals get to play where they want, whenever they want, no matter what their skill level, while there are other team members who constantly work with all their heart and soul to earn a position?
Last softball season, I was brought up to play on the varsity team. I started off as the catcher, only a sophomore. A few games later, I was completely taken off the field, while another girl played my position.
Now, let me rewind a bit.
My freshman year, I played volleyball. AS SOON AS volleyball season was over, I IMMEDIATELY began preparing for softball. I lifted weights, went to college softball camps, practiced nearly every day. Then finally, the season came. I played catcher all year. After spring, summer ball came around. I also caught then, as well as a few other positions. During the fall, I joined a league at Tiffin University, the Fall Ball Classic. We practiced for two hours, and scrimmaged for two hours. Every Sunday.
Not only did I play softball for other teams, but my coach asked me about 3 times weekly to catch for other pitchers. The girls’ ages ranged from 9-17. None of the other catchers on his varsity and JV teams would catch for him in the off-season. I was the only one. 
Winter rolled around again, and more weight lifting, college camps, and at-home practicing was done. Then the season came.
As said above, I was brought up to varsity to catch. I started on the field the first two games. Slowly, he stopped putting me in as catcher, and altogether stopped putting me on the field at all. He would put another girl in. 
**Just as a side note, I absolutely love EVERYONE on my team with ALL of my heart, I would not change them for the world. But my point here is that something was not right.**

Now, this girl absolutely LOVES volleyball. She plays it all year round, even during softball season. Who would YOU rather have in a position: someone who has a quarter of her heart on the softball field and the rest on the volleyball court? Or someone who has her entire heart on the softball field year round?
That’s what upset me. I put my e n t i r e heart and soul into this sport, into THAT position, but did I get what I deserved? No.
Another thing. My coach NEVER told me why I was NOT being played in the position I had worked on since the end of volleyball season my freshman year.He didn’t tell me if she was better than me, if I was doing something wrong,nothing. He gave me no feedback whatsoever, and just left me hanging. 
If this is happening to you, don’t take it personally. If you don’t have a “name” in your school, don’t let it bother you. Keep working as hard as you can. If you plan on going to college for a sport or something, remember, your coach isn’t the one who is going to get you to college ball, YOU are the one getting yourself to college ball.
Love,
Ris

No comments:

Post a Comment